WHAT IS THE STUDENT UNION ADVISORY BOARD?
In keeping with the mission to foster a high level of involvement from UNC Charlotte’s student population and the various facets of our campus, a Student Union Advisory Board (Board) was developed to act as the governing body for the Popp Martin Student Union.
WHAT DO THEY DO?
The Popp Martin Student Union Advisory Board (referred to hereafter as the Board) will serve as an advisory body to the Director of the Student Union, advise and provide voice from the constituents on the role of the student union as well as operations of the building. The Board will have the responsibility to provide advice and guidance on the vision, facility use and hours, policy, services and space use of the Popp Martin Student Union.
Not pictured: Michelle Guobadia, Josh Englund, Kimberly Boyle
ADVISORY BOARD CURRENT MEMBERS
Student Government Association
Leadership and Community Engagement
Office of Identity, Equity and Engagement
Student Niner Media
Popp Martin Student Union
Morgan Meehan, Director
Student Activities Fee Commission
Graduate & Professional Student Government
Campus Activities Board
Faculty Senate Appointment
Consisting of 17 members, the board has voting as well as non-voting members and is a mix of students and non-students.
- Five participants are voting student constituency members, representing a diverse array of divisions and departments here on campus.
- Three members are voting At-Large students who represent the campus community as a whole. One of these At-Large student members serves as Chairman of the Board.
- One member is a non-voting appointee of Student Media.
- One is a non-voting appointee from The Student Activities Fee Commission.
- On the non-student side, two voting faculty members represent the Division of Academic Affairs and the Faculty Council, respectively.
- Three voting administrative representatives are appointed, with two from Student Affairs and the third from Business Affairs.
- To tie into the goal of achieving a facility to benefit the entire campus community, there is one voting alumni representative.
- The Student Union Executive Director serves in a non-voting ex-officio capacity.
The Board convenes on a regular schedule with meetings held once or twice per month during the fall and spring semester on Fridays from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM. Special meetings are scheduled on an as-needed basis, and various board committees gather on a regular basis as well.
If you desire a role in the governance of the Student Union, please take a moment to consider applying for one of the At-Large positions. Applications are accepted each March for the next year’s Board term of office.
In keeping with UNC Charlotte’s policy of non-discrimination, the Board does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, veteran status and physical or mental ability or disability. All student members must be in good standing with the University, and have and maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5. Students are asked to serve twelve-month terms of office. Non-student members serve two-year terms that end on alternating dates. The term of office of each Board member begins on July 1 and ends on June 30, except that the Student Union Director serves continuously as a member of the Board subject only to the continuation of his/her employment.